SACRAMENTO – Today, Angelique Ashby announced that former California Governor Jerry Brown has endorsed her candidacy for State Senate.
“Angelique Ashby knows how to balance a budget and get things done,” said Governor Brown. “She’s exactly the right leader to represent the Sacramento Region in the State Senate.”
Brown noted Ashby’s record of leadership during her time on Sacramento City Council:
- Ashby balanced the City budget during the Recession while securing funding for after-school programs, fire protection, and emergency response;
- She expanded affordable housing, lifted a housing moratorium, and got $1.6 million in developer fees refunded to homeowners during the housing crisis;
- During the pandemic, Ashby led the City’s efforts to open child care centers for essential workers, organized meals and vaccine drives for thousands, and protected renters from unfair evictions;
- She helped safeguard water supplies for Sacramento County residents and 42 miles of levees, protecting 120,000 residents from floods;
- She converted a hotel to house homeless families, expanded shelters, and authored an ordinance banning encampments near schools; and
- In light of right-wing attacks against women, she led local efforts to protect a woman’s right to privacy and the fundamental right to an abortion, earning her a 100% Planned Parenthood rating.
“Governor Brown is a bold, effective leader and it is an honor to have his support,” said Angelique Ashby. “I hope to follow his legacy of smart, fair, and pragmatic leadership in the State Senate.”
Brown joins several statewide elected officials who have endorsed Ashby’s campaign in recent weeks, including Governor Gavin Newsom and Lieutenant Governor Eleni Kounalakis.
Ashby currently represents Sacramento City Council District 1 and serves as Vice Mayor of the City of Sacramento. Senate District 8 includes the cities of Sacramento and Elk Grove, and most of Sacramento County.